Sometimes I feel like every time I have clear skin, here comes another breakout just waiting to happen. About two weeks ago, I broke out all over my T-zone, (minus the forehead) cheeks and chin. I’m not sure why exactly, but I felt like I had this great routine to keep all the pimples away and it wasn’t working. All I know is that my skin was really inflamed and was giving me the blues.
I had been using the Peter Thomas Roth Acne System that is loaded with salicylic acid, which is known to keep acne away. It worked for about a week and then, BAM, another breakout. To try and remedy the pimples, I did my Leahlani Mermaid Mask and then later that week my Herbivore Blue Tansy Mask. They did help temporarily, but the pimples would not budge!
At one point, I was just extremely frustrated, which I’m sure caused some more acne. So, I went back to basics. Each pimple, I applied a hot compress and slowly drained them. It was a process but it did work.
I came to a realization (thanks to the Youtuber Gothamista) that maybe I was being way too harsh on my face. She is very knowledgeable about pH and the ingredients in the products out there on the market. I began to use some of the same steps she uses to keep her skin clear as well as some steps that I thought would help.
- Don’t over wash my skin
- I began washing my face with just water in the morning followed by a gentle toner
- Calm my skin down
- I used a calming mask (stolen from mom) from the Farmacy line: Honey Potion Renewing Antioxidant Hydration Mask
- I also used Glossier’s Super Pure niacinamide serum which is unexpectedly gentle.
- Hydrate my skin
- I stopped using just the Herbivore Lapis Oil and applied an actual moisturizer. Dr. Jart’s Water Drop to be exact…also stole from mom.
- Added a little extra oil at night
- Use a gentle yet effective cleanser at night
- I’ve always done this but decided to try out the Boscia’s Charcoal Cleansing Stick…stole from mom yet again. I love the cleansing stick btw and it is surprisingly gentle.
Within two days, my skin improved. My pimples didn’t hurt and weren’t nearly as big. It’s been four days now and even my hormonal acne is responding well to this new routine. I would love to pinpoint exactly what’s helping, but it could be all of it or some of it. I get so irritated with my acne that I slather EVERYTHING onto my face just to get rid of pimples and that could have been setting me back this whole time. I’m going to keep up this routine for a few weeks and then be sure to update you guys. I’m also going to take a before picture now so that I don’t forget and can show you all actual results! Thanks for reading!